Sunday 15 July 2007

I woke up on Friday morning wih only one thing on my mind...the bread from Thursday. Oh that bread! Crazy good stone-baked spelt goodness from Waitrose (I'd love to say it was from some artisan bakery where everyone knows my name...but it wasn't). There was still a bit left and I decided the time had come for a TLT (tofu, lettuce and tomato, if you hadn't worked that one out)!



I made my favourite tofu "chicken" to go in it. It doesn't taste very much like real chicken, but it's very tasty and has a lovely "chewy" texture, and it really hits the spot. It's good cold, in fact better than hot, and can be used instead of chicken in salads, sandwiches or whatever. The recipe is fairly vague:

Get some tofu and slice it however you want, depending what you're planning to do with it. Heat some olive oil in a pan and get it frying. When lightly browned, add some soy sauce and toss until the tofu is coated and slightly sticky. Brown a bit more, then add enough nutritional yeast to coat the tofu slices. Cook for a couple of minutes, then remove from the pan and eat hot or cold.

So, the tofu was sorted. But, DISASTER! No lettuce. And only watery tomatoes that would make my sandwich soggy come lunchtime. So I played a sub and added some baby spinach, which worked OK, although my TLT will have to wait. Ah, sweet sandwichy love...



Normally in my house we have homemade pizza on a Friday, and then one Saturday nights my mum and I knock up a batch of homemade tortillas, and serve them up with my special refried beans (recipe soon), chicken for the meat-eaters , pepper, lettuce (iceberg...yes, I know it has like zero nutrients, but nothing else crunches so well), avocado and cheese. But this Friday my mum was going out and couldn't make the pizza dough, so we switched around. She left us some tortillas and me, Dad and Pie had burritos for tea. Above is mine, with the beans hidden by the salad (they're in there somewhere, promise!). It was good, but somehow not quite right eating them on a Friday.



So having packed Pie off to Tuscany (Wind Band "Tour", if a nice week in the sun in the same hotel with a couple of concerts here and there can be called a tour), we had some pizza. Usually I have pine nuts and goat's cheese with basil, but this time I decided to ring the changes with marinated/grilled artichoke hearts, black olive tapenade and and pine nuts (hey, I like them). It was almost a disaster as I somehow managed to set the oven 100 degrees lower than it needed to be and we only discovered after we'd put them in, which meant they'd risen again. They weren't as thin and crispy as normal, but so yummy we didn't really care. I made the Pizza sauce from Vegan with a Vengeance and it was really, really good. I used fresh instead of dried thyme as we had so much in the garden and our dried thyme had gone off.



Here's a groovy find from the market in Cambridge. It's a pointed purple cabbage! Way more purple in real life. It turned the water we steamed it over green! Turquoise green! Interesting flavour, closer to brussels sprouts and something else I can't put my finger on.



Totally vegetarian Sunday lunch for everyone (yay!). MMMM. Aubergines stuffed with lentils and mushrooms from The Bean Book by Rose Elliot, Maple-Mustard Potatoes and String Beans (we used runner beans) from VWAV (OH. MY. GOD. I spent a large part of the afternoon licking the dish they were cooked in), with tomato sauce, cabbage and cauliflower. Doesn't it look pretty?
And so to bed. See you next time!

No comments: