Thursday 12 July 2007

Little Tiny Post

Just a short post, as I have had a long and tedious day at the mercy of our wonderful NHS. Meh. Maybe I'll tell you about it some other time.
When we finally got out of there (my appointment was 10 o' clock and we didn't leave till 12. I ended up missing a whole day of school, as I'd planned to have an early lunch at home and then go in for Art. Grrr! At least I got a lie-in), we went home via Waitrose and picked up some lovely bread (oh, the bread!), vegetable juice and tinned aduki beans...and made...this yummy and fab bean stew.



Here's the brief recipe:

Zoomy Bean Stew

Serves 2

Ingredients
About half a 400g tin chopped tomatoes
About 200ml vegetable juice (a nice thick, smoothie-ish one-you can replace this with veggie stock and use more tomato)
400g tin aduki beans (or whatever you fancy bean-wise), drained and rinsed
1 white onion (or red, or yellow...), chopped
1 celery stick, chopped
Salt
Pepper
Paprika
Veggie Worcestershire sauce (now this really is essential. No substitutions!)
Dried mixed herbs
Fresh or dried basil (or oregano)
Olive oil (or anything else, provided you can fry stuff in it)

Method
Fry the onion and celery in the oil in a large saucepan until soft. Add the tomatoes and some veggie juice. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and let it all cook down a bit till it's all yummy and rich. Add the beans and simmer a bit more, then season with herbs, salt, pepper, paprika, and whatever you like, plus a generous amount of Worcester sauce, and then some. Ladle into bowls and eat with some ludicrously good bread.



Dinner. Black bean burger with loads of steamed veggies, with homemade oven chips trying to bask in their healthy glow. Plus a little tomatoey dip for the chips:

2 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp maple syrup
1-2 tsp cider vinegar

Mix together and serve. Feel free to adjust the sweet/sour balance to your taste. I personally think sour is better.
I liked the burger, which was cobbled together from a load of different recipes. It has black beans, sunflower seeds, cashews, oatmeal and a load of spices. Only halfway through cooking I realise it was going to be all mushy because I'd made it too thick, so I cut it in quarters. Wasn't planning to eat it in a bun so not a problem.
It turned out pretty good.
Pie grew two more courgettes but they're in my tummy, so no pictures I'm afraid.
Sorry for the sad lack of excitement today. I promise to make up for it next time.
Goodbyeee!

No comments: