Friday 24 August 2007

Unlucky for some...

My thirteenth post! Guess it really was unlucky, because I got interrupted halfway through posting, went to finish it just now and found that only the title had been saved. Oh well...



Porridge (oatmeal to all you lot across the Pond), with craisins (a.k.a dried cranberries, but I love saying that), walnuts and agave nectar. I must make this nearly everyday. It's my absolute favourite breakfast (pancakes not included): fast, cheap and easy. I jazz it up with lots of different toppings to stop it getting boring. Right now I like raisins, walnuts and maple syrup best of all. I use the recipe from Anthony Worrall Thompson's GI Diet, but I increase the quantity of oats slightly. I also add ground flaxseeds for omega-3 goodness.



Another old favourite, B'cous cous I Love You (such a cute name) from Vegan Eats and Treats. It's dead simple, you just make the cous cous and sauce (which I jazzed up a bit this time with some Morrocan-y spices - though I went a little heavy on the cinnamon) and whack it in the oven, best Jamie Oliver style. My tip is to toast the pine nuts first for more flavour. I wanted to add raisins, but my latent snacking (if I see raisins, I eat them) caught up with me and we didn't have any left. Serves me right...



To go with it I made a great chickpea salad based loosely on this one, with tomatoes, cucumber, grated carrot, spring onions and chickpeas (natch) dressed with pumpkin seed oil (I love this stuff. I will add it to anything) and red wine vinegar. It was super yummy and the leftovers were even better as a quick lunch after getting back from hospital (hormone tests, not fun). I threw in some avocado that was lying around as well, and made some ginger tea, which is my new obsession (I need caffeine-free drinks for in the evenings or I can't sleep). To serve 1, just grate a 2 cm chunk fresh root ginger, pack into an infuser ball (like a reusable teabag-from tea shops), place in a cup and pour on boiling water. Leave to infuse for a few minutes and drink. If you don't have an infuser ball, make in a teapot or just slice the ginger and place in your cup instead. You can sweeten it with agave or brown sugar if that's how you like your drinks.



Here's everything together on my plate. Mmmmm!

See you soon!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Ooh, I just wanted you to know that I LOVE your blog! I found the link hiding in my bookmarks and prowled through it tonight. Everything here looks SO delicous. :)